On November 15, 2018, Dustin and I decided we wanted to start tackling our debt by following Dave Ramsey's baby steps. Below are the 7 steps. They are meant to be completed in the following order - Step 1 then Step 2, then Step 3, then Steps 4-6 can be done simultaneously, followed by Step 7. For quick (and free) immersion into the baby steps, check out Dave Ramsey's podcast!
to Financial Freedom
- The Day We Decided to Change Our Family Tree - This was our turning point. The day we decided we wanted more out of life!
- You've Decided You Want to Get Out of Debt...Now What? - You have debt. You want to tackle that debt. But you're not sure where to start? Check this out!
- 6 Ways We Cut Back to Save Money Each Month - You have to start somewhere, right? And looking at all of your monthly expenses can be pretty eye-opening. Check it out!
- How Sinking Funds Changed Our Lives - Don't know what a sinking fund is? It's like a rainy day fund, but on steroids. Not really, but kinda. Check it out!
- Utilizing Extra Insurance Benefits - Did you know that your insurance might offer extra benefits? I use BCBS and have access to a program called Well on Target where I can earn points which then can be redeemed for rewards. Check it out!
Baby Step #1
Save $1000 as your starter emergency fund.
Baby Step #2
Payoff all debt (except the house) using the debt snowball method.
Baby Step #3
Save 3-6 months of expenses in your fully funded emergency fund (FFEF).
Baby Step #4
Invest 15% of your household income in retirement.
Baby Step #5
Save for kids college fund.
Baby Step #6
Pay off your house early.
Baby Step #7
Build wealth and give.